A Walk In The Forest With A Macro Lens

 I recently bought a TTArtisan Macro 40mm f/2.8 lens to fit my Fujifilm XT-50. This is an old fashioned manual lens but with up to 1:1 macro focusing. So, as long as my eyes are working well, I can get very close-up images. Needless to say I throw away a few duds. However, when I work it properly, the results can be stunning. The trick is to check depth of field. When in super-close it pays to stop the lens down because depth of field is relative. Close-up it can reduce to mere millimetres. On the other hand the wide open f/2.8 setting provides a nice narrow depth of field when photographing larger objects and making them pop out against the background.

So, yesterday, I went for a walk around Heathhall Forest with my macro lens. Late summer presents a good mixture of flowers, seed heads, leaves and butterflies.

Ferns
 
Wildflowers


Seed Pod 

Thistle Heads

Last Flowers on a Foxglove

Wild Raspberries

Berries on a Tree

Birch Bark

Moss on the North Side of a Tree

Butterfly - lack of fieldcraft prevented me getting closer

Thistledown

Seed pods

Tiny Flowers

Leaf Under Attack

Going To Seed


  

Sticky Willy with Seed Heads

Comments